Stories, stories, installs, installs
Last Updated on Monday, 10 August 2009 17:12 Written by Peer Oliver Schmidt Thursday, 14 May 2009 01:00
It seems, we are heading in the right direction. More and more people report successful installs with alpha installer, and the latest rounds of packages. For those, trying the alpha, here is the quick rundown of what you should do:
- Install Kubuntu 0810 Desktop i386
- Install all the latest update and upgrades (incl. kernel packages), when prompted after the reboot.
- Reboot and open a terminal session
- Become root (sudo -i)
- Download the latest new installer (wget http://deb.linuxmce.org/ubuntu/new-installer-alpha-latest.tar.gz)
- Unpack the new-installer (tar xf new-installer-alpha-latest.tar.gz)
- Change into the new-installer dir (cd new-installer)
- ./mce-install.sh (can take a few hours!)
- Reboot - follow the instructions on screen.
- If you get a fully black screen (without cursor), look up the wiki on black screen, your monitor is probably not connected to your VGA port)
Yes, this is quite a long list, but if you look at it in detail, and is not much you need to do. Eventually, there will be a more streamlined approach, but we need more people to test the system.
And no, you do NOT need to install the nVidia drivers before hand, the install should take care of that.
Please post your installation stories in the forum.
Thank you for testing the installs, and helping make LinuxMCE better.
Peer Oliver Schmidt
for LinuxMCE 0810