No beta - but a MONSTER update
Last Updated on Friday, 14 August 2009 19:16 Written by Peer Oliver Schmidt Monday, 10 August 2009 10:38
After some vicious coding and designing done by Thom Cherryhomes in particular, we now have a monster update this time.
- The most obvious update are two new skins. Titanium and Slate highlight how anyone can create a new look for LinuxMCE without ever leaving Photoshop (or Paint or The Gimp).
- The plasmoid has been packaged for the first time as well. It is used to easily switch back from the KDE desktop environment into the Orbiter environment.
- Thanks to niz23 we are now caching apt's thus eliminating multiple downloads of the same deb file for multiple MDs.
- With lots of help from the Italian community we now have Italian as the fourth language for LinuxMCE.
- Thanks to murcel we have an updated German translation, which still has some Umlaut problems, but is light years better than the original.
- The game plugin has now support for MESS, with the first driver being for Atari 2600. This includes lots of box art as well.
- Honeywell/Ademco Vista security panels received an updated driver.
All in all this might not look much, but it is more than 1,5GB of updated stuff.
In addition to updates to the deb packages, which can be upgraded using apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade we have an updated new-installer tar file. It contains patches from merkur2k to better handle various NIC situations, and niz23's updates for the apt-cacher.
Thank you to all the contributors. Together we can push this thing further. If you have additional languages you want to see in LinuxMCE, please provide a sql dump from Text_LS containing:
We have had the first successful DVD based installations. Other than 710, the 810 DVD installation will be a two step process, which first installs the base Kubuntu system, and provides an icon on the desktop to install LinuxMCE. All of the packages will already reside on the DVD hence the installation no longer needs to download a couple of Gigabytes on repeated installs.
Peer Oliver Schmidt
for LinuxMCE 810